I am a research scientist at Amazon Berlin working on machine translation and other structured prediction problems for NLP. Simultaneously, I hold an Honorary Professor position at the Heidelberg University.
Before joining Amazon I was a postdoc at the Statistical NLP Group, lead by Prof. Stefan Riezler, and earlier at the LIMSI and the Orange Labs, R&D in France. I obtained a PhD in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence from the IRTCITS research center in Kyiv for a thesis on randomized representations for locality-sensitive sequence embeddings.
- I was appointed an Honorary Professor position and will teach a machine learning course, starting in winter semester 2018/2019.
- I co-organized a shared task on learning machine translation systems from weak feedback at WMT'17 that ran from January till July 2017. Official results.
- I gave a guest lecture introducing online learning under full and partial information in the Machine Learning course at the University of Mannheim on 25 Nov. 2015
- J. Kreutzer, A. Sokolov. Learning to Segment Inputs for NMT Favors Character-Level Processing, Int. Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT), 2018 [extended report]
- F. Hieber, T. Domhan, M. Denkowski, D. Vilar, A. Sokolov, A. Clifton, M. Post. Sockeye: A Toolkit for Neural Machine Translation, American Machine Translation Association (AMTA), 2018 [complete ArXiv version] [code]
- C. Lawrence, A. Sokolov, S. Riezler. Counterfactual Learning from Bandit Feedback under Deterministic Logging: A Case Study in Statistical Machine Translation, Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), Copenhagen, Denmark, 2017 [poster]
- A. Sokolov, J. Kreutzer, K. Sunderland, P. Danchenko, W. Szymaniak, H. Fürstenau, S. Riezler. A Shared Task on Bandit Learning for Machine Translation, Conference on Machine Translation (WMT), Copenhagen, Denmark, 2017 [slides]
- J. Kreutzer, A. Sokolov, S. Riezler. Bandit Structured Prediction for Neural Sequence-to-Sequence Learning, Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL), Vancouver, Canada, 2017 [poster]
- A. Sokolov, J. Kreutzer, C. Lo, S. Riezler. Stochastic Structured Prediction under Bandit Feedback, Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Barcelona, Spain, 2016 [poster]
- A. Sokolov, J. Kreutzer, C. Lo, S. Riezler. Learning Structured Predictors from Bandit Feedback for Interactive NLP, Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL), Berlin, Germany, 2016 [slides] [code 1] [code 2]
- V. Boteva, D. Gholipour, A. Sokolov, S. Riezler. A Full-Text Learning to Rank Dataset for Medical Information Retrieval, European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR), Padova, Italy, 2016 [poster] [data] [bib]
- A. Sokolov, S. Riezler, T. Urvoy. Bandit Structured Prediction for Learning from Partial Feedback in Statistical Machine Translation, MT Summit, Miami, FL, USA, 2015
Institut für Computerlinguistik,
Im Neuenheimer Feld 325, Room 107