Natural Language Processing GroupWelcome to the Natural Language Processing Group at the Computational Linguistics Department at Heidelberg University!
Our research focuses on Advanced Semantic Analysis and Discourse Processing Models for Natural Language Understanding.
Recent research themes and applications
- Question Answering and Reading Comprehension
- Discourse Relation Classification
- Deep Sentiment Analysis
- Multilingual Semantic Role Labeling
- Abstract Anaphora Resolution
- Knowledge-based Argumentation Analysis
- Identifying Implicit Information in Discourse
- Multimodal Language Processing
- Two members of the HD NLP group have been rewarded for outstanding contributions to EMNLP 2020: Anette Frank as outstanding Area Chair and Juri Opitz as outstanding Reviewer. Congrats. We appreciate such recognitions for community services.
- Two new blog posts in our HD NLP blog (very interesting to read!):
- Two long papers by members of the NLP group have been
accepted for EMNLP
Congratulations to the authors!
- X-SRL: A Parallel Cross-Lingual Semantic Role Labeling Dataset, by Angel Daza and Anette Frank, to appear in the Proceedings of EMNLP. The publication is based on work within the LiMo project
- Social Commonsense Reasoning with Multi-Head Knowledge Attention, by Debjit Paul and Anette Frank, to appear in Findings at EMNLP, Association of Computational Linguistics, [reprint]
- The paper Argumentative Relation Classification with Background Knowledge, by Debjit Paul, Juri Opitz, Maria Becker, Jonathan Kobbe, Graeme Hirst, and Anette Frank earned a nomination for the best student paper award at the COMMA 2020 Conference! Congratulations to all authors!
- Three new publications by members of the NLP group and colleagues:
- Juri Opitz, Letitia Parcalabescu and Anette Frank (2020): AMR Similarity Metrics from Principles. Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Vol. 8, pp. 522-538. [html]
- Debjit Paul, Juri Opitz, Maria Becker, Jonathan Kobbe, Graeme Hirst, and Anette Frank (2020): Argumentative Relation Classification with Background Knowledge. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computational Models of Argument (COMMA 2020) [html]
- Maria Becker, Ioana Hulpus, Debjit Paul, Juri Opitz, Jonathan Kobbe, Heiner Stuckenschmidt and Anette Frank (2020): Explaining Arguments with Background Knowledge. Towards Knowledge-based Argumentation Analysis. Datenbank Spektrum 20:131â€“141, Special Issue: Argumentation Intelligence. [DOI]
- In the newest issue of Heidelberg University's research
magazine on â€śMachine
& Humanâ€ť, Anette Frank and Katja Markert
Challenges of Teaching Machines to Understand Human Language".
They discuss current work of their research groups and argue that both commonsense knowledge and creativity -
which humans master so easily - are still a challenge for automatic
language processing algorithms. Enjoy!
- New publication: Letitia Parcalabescu and Anette Frank: Exploring Phrase Grounding without Training: Contextualisation and Extension to Text-Based Image Retrieval. Workshop on Multimodal Learning (at CVPR 2020), [pdf].
- Anette Frank will be Area Chair in the Semantics track" for EMNLP 2020.
- Anette Frank will be Area Chair in the Semantics Track for ACL 2020 in Seattle.
Frank and Letitia Parcalabescu are
participating in the newly established COST Action
Multi3Generation: Multi-task, Multilingual, Multi-modal Language
Generation, led by Isabelle Augenstein.
We are members of the management committee as representatives for
We are looking forward to collaborating in this great network activity.
- Enjoy our latest NLP blog post: Adversarial Training explained by Sebastian Burst
- Three new publications at EMNLP, SemEx@ISWC and ArgMining@ACL
- Angel Daza and Anette Frank: Translate and Label! An Encoder-Decoder Approach for Cross-lingual Semantic Role Labeling (EMNLP 2019)
- Todor Mihaylov and Anette Frank: Discourse-Aware Semantic Self-Attention for Narrative Reading Comprehension (EMNLP 2019)
- Ioana Hulpus, Jonathan Kobbe, Christian Meilicke, Heiner Stuckenschmidt, Maria Becker, Juri Opitz, Vivi Nastase and Anette Frank: Towards Explaining Natural Language Arguments with Background Knowledge (SemEx 2019)
- Three members of the group will attend EurNLP 2019 in London to present and discuss their research:â€¨
- â€¨Todor Mihaylov: Discourse-Aware Semantic Self-Attention for Narrative Reading Comprehension
- Letitia Parcalabescu: Unsupervised Text to Scene Graph Alignment with WordNet Neighborhood
- Debjit Paul: Graph-based Multi-Hop Commonsense Knowledge
- The 2nd Heidelberg Summer School of Computational Humanities (HCH19) has just ended, with lectures, workshops and special events around Mixed Methods in the Computational Humanities. Co-organized by teams of Beatrix Busse, Anette Frank and the Leibniz ScienceCampus. Thanks to all contributors and participants!
- Juri Opitz and Leo Born offered a half-day hands-on tutorial and workshop: Providing new views on textual data with knowledge graphs at HCH19 (details to come).
- New publication on "Dissecting Content and Context in Argumentative Relation Analysis", by Juri Opitz and Anette Frank, to appear at the 6th Argument Mining Workshop at ACL 2019 in Florence.
- New publications at NAACL, *SEM, DATeCH, LDK and RELATIONS!
- We launched a new NLP blog, which is open to interested students and researchers to share views, insights and news about research in Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence.
- Maria Becker, M.A.
- Ngoc Do Bich, M.A. (Leibniz ScienceCampus LiMo)
- Angel Daza, M.Sc. (Leibniz ScienceCampus LiMo)
- Todor Mihaylov, M.Sc. (research training group AIPHES)
- Éva Mújdricza-Maydt, M.A.
- Juri Opitz, M.A.
- Letitia Parcalabescu, M.Sc.
- Debjit Paul, M.Sc. (research training group AIPHES)
- Katharina Korfhage, Computational Linguistics
- Siting Liang, Computational Linguistics
- Dr. Viviane Nastase
- Dr. Ines Rehbein, now at Institut für Deutsche Sprache, IDS Mannheim
- Ana Marasovic, now at AI2: Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence
- Bhushan Kotnis, PhD, now at NEC Laboratories, Heidelberg
- Jennifer Sikos, M.A.
- Dr. Yannick Versley, now LinkedIn, Dublin
- Tobias Backes, M.Sc., now Gesis Leibniz-Institut für Sozialwissenschaften, Köln
- Dr. Yufang Hou , now IBM Dublin
- Dr. Benjamin Börschinger, now Google Research, Zürich
- Dr. Nils Reiter, now at Stuttgart University
- Dr. Michael Roth, now at School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
- Dr. Matthias Hartung,, now at Cognitive Interaction Technology Center of Excellence, University of Bielefeld
Galina Tremper, M.A.
- Eva Sourjikova, M.A.
- Dr. Simone Paolo Ponzetto, now Professor at University of Mannheim